Snoring is the vibration of respiratory structures and the resulting sound, due to obstructed air movement during breathing while sleeping. In some cases the sound may be soft, but in other cases, it can be rather loud and quite unpleasant. Generally speaking, the structures involved are the uvula and soft palate.
While we are asleep, turbulent airflow can cause the tissues of the nose and throat to vibrate and give rise to snoring. Essentially, snoring is a sound resulting from turbulent airflow that causes tissues to vibrate during sleep.
People who snore often have too much throat and nasal tissue, or “floppy” tissue that is more prone to vibrate. The position of the tongue can also get in the way of smooth breathing. Evaluating how and when you snore will help you pinpoint whether the cause of your snoring is within your control or not.
Home Remedy for Snoring:
* Losing weight is often a very effective cure for mild to moderate snoring. Even a little bit of weight loss can reduce fatty tissue in the back of the throat and decrease snoring.
* Use pillows to keep your neck straight and comfortable. Also, elevate your head, which can sometimes help minimize your snoring.
* Stop smoking, as this aggravates the tissues in the throat that make you snore.
* Try avoiding dairy products in the evening, as for some people dairy increases mucus build up in your throat, which can contribute to the snoring process.
* Get your allergies under control, as this can help reduce your snoring.
* Check your medicines. Some medicines, like anthihistamines and sedatives can actually increase your snoring.
* Don’t’ eat a big meal before going to bed.
* Make an effort to establish a regular sleeping schedule. Sometimes, poor sleep habits contribute to your snoring.
* Singing can help as it will exercise and strengthen your throat. Try joining a choir or a musical society and see if you reap these benefits.
* We like to drink alcohol as we think is helps us to relax. The problem is that it exacerbates snoring in most people so you should try and avoid it before going to bed.